Patna: RJD leader
Tejashwi Prasad Yadav on Tuesday launched a sharp attack on the NDA govt over cancellation of the NEET-UG 2026 following a paper leak, alleging that the futures of 23 lakh students had once again been put at risk.
In a strongly worded statement, Tejashwi said the recurring cycle of examination paper leaks in Bihar and across the country raised serious questions about the BJP-led govt’s administrative capability, competence and intent.
“The 2026 examination has been cancelled due to a paper leak. The futures of 23 lakh students have once again been toyed with,” Tejashwi said.
He questioned whether the govt lacked the ability and will to conduct even a routine examination in a transparent and organised manner without a leak, or whether such incidents had become a recurring pattern benefiting those in power.
Tejashwi said repeated paper leaks under the ruling establishment had created serious doubts regarding the govt’s policy and intent. He added that instead of ordering a “cosmetic inquiry”, the govt should undertake “self-reflection” and examine whether it was doing justice to students and the country.
Highlighting the burden on students and families, he questioned how much petrol, diesel and other fuel would again be consumed when 23 lakh candidates travel to examination centres in 552 cities across the country for the re-test.
He said the cancellation would lead to financial losses as well as physical and mental stress for students, parents and guardians.
Targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Tejashwi said governance could not run merely on speeches and publicity and required accountability and transparency. He alleged that instead of reducing public suffering, the ruling establishment was focused on using institutions against opposition parties.
Responding to the criticism, BJP spokesperson Prem Ranjan Patel defended the cancellation and said the decision had been taken in the interest of deserving candidates.
“The decision has been taken so that no mishap or wrong happens,” Patel said.